Oral Caner Screenings
At Beckett Dental Care, our highly trained dentists will complete an oral cancer screening during each exam. During this part of the exam, we will do a visual and physical exam evaluating the face, neck, lips looking for asymmetries, swellings, ulcers, bumps, patches of color change and other abnormalities. If they notice anything unusual or concerning, further treatment such as a biopsy may be recommended.
Each year about 50,000 Americans will be diagnosed with oral cancer and it will cause about 10,000 deaths. Oral cancers are common and have a high mortality rate. Fortunately, oral cancer if diagnosed early, can be treated effectively.
Oral Cancer Prevention
How can I prevent Oral Cancer?
- The number one way to prevent oral cancer is to avoid tobacco
- Avoid alcohol
- Maintain your oral health with regular checkups, daily flossing, and brushing
- Limiting sun exposure
- Consider the Human Papillomavirus Vaccine (HPV)
Detection of Oral Cancer
What are Dr. Nick and Dr. Chelsea looking for?
- Red or white patches
- A sore that bleeds easily and does not heal
- A thick or hard spot or lump
- Roughened or crusted areas
- Pain or tenderness
- A change in the way your teeth fit together
- Trouble swallowing, speaking, moving your tongue or jaw.